Canewdon Photos

The Anchor

By Robert Stephen

We have a CD containing 511 miscellaneous Canewdon photos credited to Ken Smith and Julian Kaye.  A lot have no attribution other than a placename. Here are some of the "Anchor" at Canewdon brought up on a name search of the CD. There were 16 hits in total featuring the pub or its surroundings. Here are a representative 10.

They are in the form of a slideshow - just click on any photo and a slideshow will start. There is a stop/start button at the bottom right of the slideshow frames. Please click the X to end the show.

What we obviously need is someone with a good knowledge of Canewdon to go systematically through the CD and draw more from it. Any volunteers?

 

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Canewdon Photos' page
This gallery was added by Robert Stephen on 18/01/2020.
Comments about this page (Add a comment about this page)

It would take me too long to do every photo.  Perhaps the details of just the first photo will show just how much information there is. This first photo of the Anchor dates from about 1910. The publican in the doorway is Jonathan Buxton who was the landlord from 1898 until the first world war. His sister Mrs. Potter was the landlady of The Woodsman, Thundersley. His youngest son Johnathan was a regular in the Norfolk Regiment but sadly died of TB in captivity on 3rd October 1917 following his capture at the surrender of Kut, Mesopotamia in April the previous year. He is buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery, Angora. The ladies on the right are said to be from the Clarnico Sweet Factory and on an excursion from Leigh-on-Sea as part of a company outing from the factory in Hackney Wick, but this is unconfirmed. By this time the Anchor pub occupied the two buildings closest to the camera and one to the rear of the property. It was previously only in the first building but would be extended again to incorporate the 3rd building and was later extended even more into the gap between this and Russel Row cottages.

By Brian Meldon
On 08/02/2020
Add a comment about this page

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.